automtically change ranges in formulas when new data is entered

  1. #1
    JRoyer95
    Guest

    automtically change ranges in formulas when new data is entered

    Using Excel 2003. New data is added to an exsisting worksheet on a daily
    basis. I want my formulas to always apply to the last five cells of data
    entered without having to manually update the ranges. For example: Today,
    my range is A1:A5. Tomorrow, the range for the formula will be A2:A6. Is
    there a way to automatically update the ranges after a new cell is entered?
    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: automtically change ranges in formulas when new data is entered

    Try this:
    For values in Cell A1 through whatever

    B1: =SUM(OFFSET(A1,COUNTA($A:$A)-5,0,5))
    Returns the sum of the last 5 items in the list.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: automtically change ranges in formulas when new data is entered

    Moreover, since you are on Excel 2003, convert the data area into a list
    by means of Data|List|Create List to enjoy fully automatic adjustment of
    formulas for references.

  4. #4
    JRoyer95
    Guest

    RE: automtically change ranges in formulas when new data is entere

    having trouble applying this formula to a row instead of a column

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: automtically change ranges in formulas when new data is entere

    If the numbers are in row 1, beginning in A1 and extending to the right...

    Try this:
    B1: =SUM(OFFSET(A1,0,COUNTA($1:$1)-5,1,5))

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  6. #6
    JRoyer95
    Guest

    RE: automtically change ranges in formulas when new data is entere

    Thanks Ron! I had tried (A1, 0, COUNTA (1:1)-5, 0, 5) and (A1, 1, COUNTA
    (1:1)-5, 1, 5). This was the first time I ever had to use this formula and I
    appreciate your help!