Assigning a value to a character (?)

  1. #1

    Assigning a value to a character (?)

    Hi,

    I have a slight problem in that i need to somehow calculate the total number of certain characters in various fields. So if the spreadsheet contains:

    P P P P L L L

    This is in one row.

    I need excel to count the number of P's and L's, is this possible? I can do it with numbers but i need help with characters.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Assigning a value to a character (?)

    Use COUNTIF()

    =COUNTIF(A1:Z1,"P") in an un-used cell

    --
    Gary's Student