help

  1. #1
    zomex
    Guest

    help

    guys how can i generate a formula that would lead to even number letters
    like"bush" "clay" "boss" "sale" "cout" to have capital letter of first and
    third letter and rest smalls..... can u plz also tell me abt the formula that
    would lead to the same result but contains odd numer of letters........ i
    know that its a silly question but we have a nincompoop for a teacher

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    RE: help

    Hi

    mmm, not really into doing other people's homework (and i don't think it's
    such a bad exercise), so here's a few cluse for you:

    with your word in A1

    =MOD(LEN(A1),2)
    will tell you whether it is "even" or "odd"

    =UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))
    will extract and capitalise the first letter of the word

    =UPPER(MID(A1,3,1))
    will extract and capitalise the third letter of the word)

    =MID(A1,2,1)
    will extract the second letter of the word

    =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3)
    will extract the remaining letters of the word

    the & can be used for joining things together, such as
    =A1 & B1

    now, if you put all the above info together you'll have your answer

    have fun
    --
    JulieD

    julied at hctsReMoVeThIs dot net dot au