Search range of cells, find a value, output adjoining cell. How?

  1. #1
    nyys
    Guest

    Search range of cells, find a value, output adjoining cell. How?

    Here's what I'm trying to do.

    I have several columns of data. I would like to search one of those columns
    (a range) for a specific value. If that value is found I want to output the
    value of the cell that is to the left of the cell where the search value was
    found, on another sheet.

    On Sheet 1
    Column 1 is a list of 26 baseball players. Column 2 is their position.

    I want to search thru column 2 for a specific position, lets say "c" for
    catcher. If "c" is found I want the cell to the left of the "c" (the players
    name) to out put on Sheet 2.

    On Sheet 2
    Is a baseball diamond, and I want the name to appear in the place on the
    diamond I choose.

    So basically I need a formula to place in a particular cell on Sheet 2 that
    looks thru the data on Sheet 1 in the way explained above.

    Thanks,
    -paul

  2. #2
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    RE: Search range of cells, find a value, output adjoining cell. How?

    If Col A is Player and Col B is Position, put a formula =A1 in Col C so that
    Col A is duplicated. Then use a vlookup in sheet 2
    HTH,
    --
    Gary Brown
    gary_brown@ge_NOSPAM.com

  3. #3
    nyys
    Guest

    RE: Search range of cells, find a value, output adjoining cell. Ho

    I can't seem to get it to work. First I've ever heard of the VLOOKUP
    function. Could you provide an example?

    thanks,
    -paul

  4. #4
    nyys
    Guest

    RE: Search range of cells, find a value, output adjoining cell. Ho

    I found what I was doing wrong. Thanks!