Construction Loan Interest Formula

  1. #1

    Construction Loan Interest Formula

    Hello!

    I'm in the process of building a new home. I have built an Excel sheet that adds up each draw on my loan. I would like to put in a formula that calculates a daily interest based on amounts as they are drawn from the bank. I'm not paying any principal on the loan during the 9 month construction phase. The monthly rate is 6.9% Can someone help me with a formula that calculates interest as draws are taken on the loan?

    Thanks,
    EGavin

  2. #2
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: Construction Loan Interest Formula

    Specifics will depend on how your spreadsheet is set up, but, in general you
    want to calculate the average daily loan balance, then multiply by 6.9%/12 to
    get the interest charge for that month.

    You could have a spreadsheet which calculates the loan balance daily, in which
    case you could multiply each daily balance by 6.9%/365 to get the interest
    charged that day, then add them up for the month.

    Or, if your spreadsheet changes only when you draw down funds, calculate
    3.9%/365*NumberDays since last drawdown.

    If you are paying the interest every month, fine. If not, add the interest at
    the end of the month to the loan balance.

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...