formula help please

  1. #1
    Anthony
    Guest

    formula help please

    I have this formula thta looks at cells A8:A427 for a date which is the same
    as that in cell D1, and then sums all the coresponding cells from cells
    S8:S247.
    What I want is NOT the total sum of these cells in S8:S247 but the AVERAGE.

    My formula I am using is

    =AVERAGE(SUMIF(Stats!A8:A427,--TEXT(D1,"MYYYY"),Stats!R8:R427))

    Can anybody explain where I am going wrong and/or suggest a new formula
    many thanks

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: formula help please

    sumif()/countif(),same conditions
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  3. #3
    Anthony
    Guest

    RE: formula help please

    Paul
    thanks for your reply, but bit new to this and don't understand where to
    place your suggested formula, can you poss write if full
    thanks

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: formula help please

    Try

    =AVERAGE(IF(Stats!A8:A427=--TEXT(D1,"MYYYY"),Stats!R8:R427))

    this is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...