Calculate percentage of time period

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Ricardo Monteiro :^)
    Guest

    Calculate percentage of time period

    Cell A1 shows prison time for a certain crime (eg. 8 years).
    How would cell B1 show 1/5 (20%) of that in time format (ie, not 1,6; but 1
    "year" 7 "months").
    I suppose I want a duodecimal system instead of a decimal one...
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Calculate percentage of time period

    See

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    "Ricardo Monteiro :^)" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ricardo Monteiro :^)
    Guest

    Re: Calculate percentage of time period

    Sorry, I'm getting no results. The formulas you indicated start with a date
    and I'm working with "time quantities", like 8 years, 20 years, etc., which
    will be greater or lesser in some percentage. Is what I’m saying
    understandable?

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Calculate percentage of time period

    Take 1-1-1900 as a starting point. That is represented in Excel as the
    number 1. So Jan 2 1900 is number 2. etc.
    Small error: Excel treats 1900 as a leap year. Forget that; hardly any
    effect on your calculations.
    So 8 years would be 1-1-1908, the number 2923. 80% of that would be May 26
    1906; the number 2338.4
    If you want to express that in years, months and days, look here:

  5. #5
    Ricardo Monteiro :^)
    Guest

    Re: Calculate percentage of time period

    I'm afraid it's a dead end. Even the simplest DATEDIF formulas give an error.
    Thanks anyway.