Double lookup count

  1. #1
    Rene Petersen
    Guest

    Double lookup count

    I am trying to make either a VBA automation or a formula to calculate the
    below.

    The data is found in two columns and every time there is a match it need to
    increment the matrix table.

    The matrix will have about 100 columns and 200 rows, so it is rather large.
    And the data will have about 2-3000 records.

    Can anyone solve this challenge?

    Data:
    Column 1 Column 2
    DK 1A
    UK 1A
    UK 2B
    BE 2A
    NL 2A
    DK 2B
    BE 2C
    DK 1B
    NL 2A
    DK 1A
    DK 1A
    UK 1A
    BE 2A

    Matrix:
    |1A |1B |1C |2A |2B |2C
    BE 2 1
    DK 3 1 1
    NL 2
    UK 2 1

    Many thanks,
    Rene

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Double lookup count

    Assumptions:

    A1:B13 contains your source data

    E1:J1 contains the column labels, 1A, 1B, 1C, etc.

    D2:D5 contains your row labels, BE, DK, NL, and UK

    Formula:

    E2, copied down and across:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$13=$D2),--($B$1:$B$13=E$1))

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Double lookup count

    With your data list in cells A1:B14
    and your matrix in cells A16:F20
    Try this:
    B17: =SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$14=$A17)*($B$2:$B$14=B$16))
    Copy that formula throughout the matrix counting cells (B17:F20)

    Is that what you're looking for?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    Rene Petersen
    Guest

    RE: Double lookup count

    Thank you Domenic and Ron, both your answers helped.

    I were looking forward to sleepless nights figuring this one out. It is so
    great that people can help each other like this.

    Cheers,
    Rene