Fill Sum of months by quarter

  1. #1
    vmagal1
    Guest

    Fill Sum of months by quarter

    I have values for Jan - Dec and need to sum them by quarter on another sheet.
    When I try to drag the formula across for Q2, Q3, and Q4, it won't grab the
    corresponding months, instead it takes the consecutive numbers and sums them.
    How can I fix this?

  2. #2
    Art
    Guest

    RE: Fill Sum of months by quarter

    The easiest solution is probably just to type the correct formula in the
    cells for Q2 etc. Another solution is a follows:

    Suppose your month data is in Cells A2:L2

    Q1, in A4 is =SUM(A2:C2)
    Copy A4 to D4. Then drag D4 to B4.

    Art

  3. #3
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: Fill Sum of months by quarter

    Assuming your source spreadsheet starts from A1 and is something like:

    Month.....Value
    Jan.........10
    Feb.........18
    Mar.........17
    etc.

    Also assuming your target starts from A1 and is something like:
    Quarter.....TotalValue

    Then, a formula that you can apply for Q1, and which can be dragged
    down is:
    =SUM(OFFSET('Sheet1'!$A$1,(RIGHT(A2,1)-1)*3+1,0,3,))

    HTH
    Kostis Vezerides