Help! data from pasted table is not included in sum

  1. #1
    campli
    Guest

    Help! data from pasted table is not included in sum

    I pasted a column of simple numbers from a word doc to an excell spreadsheet.
    When I try to find sum of cell range, pasted data (although visible) is not
    included. I'm sure you are all saying "duh!" but I'm sooo frustrated!
    Help!

  2. #2
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: Help! data from pasted table is not included in sum

    This is probably because it is still text and cannot be recognized as a
    number. Are the numbers left aligned?
    Try the following:
    Enter the value 0 in a separate cell. Edit|Copy the cell.
    Select the imported numbers. Edit|Paste Special... Click the Add button
    and OK.

    Does this help?

    Kostis Vezerides

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Help! data from pasted table is not included in sum

    Most likely Excel treated the numbers as labels. To convert them to numbers,
    copy an empty cell, select the pasted range, use Edit->Paste Special->Add and
    Values, click on OK

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Help! data from pasted table is not included in sum

    campli

    Most likely the numbers are "text"..

    Format to General then copy a blank cell, select the cells and Paste
    Special>Add>OK>Esc.

    Should now be numbers.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    campli
    Guest

    RE: Help! data from pasted table is not included in sum

    Thanks Duke-
    It didn't work, though I tried several versions of your advice. What I
    finally did was go back to the word doc, copy the column of numbers from the
    table inside the word doc, selecting to keep text only. with it in that
    format I was able to copy and paste into excell with no problem. Must have
    been some glitch with the table formatting in word and the formatting in
    excell.
    I so appreciate your help!

  6. #6
    campli
    Guest

    Re: Help! data from pasted table is not included in sum

    Hi vezerid,
    Thank you as well for your help. Please see response to Duke, below for an
    explanation.
    First time I've used this forum for help and I'm thrilled you are all here.
    It's kind of like a suicide hotline. Even if your problem isn't solved, just
    knowing someone else is out there and gives a damn makes a difference!