Formula to recognize Duplicates

  1. #1
    Spike9458
    Guest

    Formula to recognize Duplicates

    I have a list of about 6000 line items. Among other things, the data
    includes names and email addresses. There are many duplicate entries,
    checking line by line for 6000 lines is not very appealing to me.

    Can someone help me to devise a formula or other way to do this?

    Thanks,

    --Jim

  2. #2

    Re: Formula to recognize Duplicates

    Chip Pearson has some techniques at:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Formula to recognize Duplicates

    Two approaches - Filtering and Conditional Formatting

    Filtering can remove the duplicates:
    1. select the data
    2. pull-down Data > filter > Advanced Filter and check unique records only

    Conditional Formatting can mark the duplicates (no removal)
    1. select the top cell
    2. pull-down Format > Condtional Formatting...then select formula is
    3. for the formula use something like =COUNTIF(A$1:A$10,A1)>1
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4
    Spike9458
    Guest

    Re: Formula to recognize Duplicates

    Thanks Chip, I think it's exactly what I was looking for ... I will post
    back when I'm done with the file.

    --Jim

    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : Chip Pearson has some techniques at:
    : http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm
    :
    :
    : Spike9458 wrote:
    : >
    : > I have a list of about 6000 line items. Among other things, the data
    : > includes names and email addresses. There are many duplicate entries,
    : > checking line by line for 6000 lines is not very appealing to me.
    : >
    : > Can someone help me to devise a formula or other way to do this?
    : >
    : > Thanks,
    : >
    : > --Jim
    :
    : --
    :
    : Dave Peterson

  5. #5
    Spike9458
    Guest

    Re: Formula to recognize Duplicates

    Thank-you for your response. I am going to try this formula too, I want to
    do what is easiest between this and the formula shown at the site Dave
    linked me to. I will post back when I am done with the file.

    --Jim

    news:[email protected]...
    :

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Formula to recognize Duplicates

    Chip Pearson has various "Duplicate" formulas at his website.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...gingDuplicates

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP