Convert Values to formulas

  1. #1
    TSter
    Guest

    Convert Values to formulas

    I am running excel 2003. In general terms, I have a cell that has a value of
    123 in it. I want to be able to copy another cell that has a value of 3 in
    it and do some sort of "Paste Special-Formula-Add" so that the cell will now
    show "=123+3" in it. if the cell already has =123 in it, then I can get it
    to work, but it only has 123 in it so I end up with a new cell that has 126
    in it. The problem is that I need to do this with thousands of cells and I
    need to be able to do this so that I have an audit trail and that I know that
    the original value was 123 and that I added 3 to it. Can anybody think of a
    way that I can get this to work? I need to be able to automatically insert
    an equal sign in every cell or have my paste funtion do this for me. Any
    thoughts? I've tried everything i can think, except for a special macro.

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Convert Values to formulas

    what is the reltionship between the cells with 123 and 3 in them,ie is it
    consistent through out
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  3. #3
    TSter
    Guest

    RE: Convert Values to formulas

    I'm not sure I understand the question. Let's say I have 3 rows by 12
    columns. I have to adjust each value in each cell by a different amount. I
    have a spreadsheet with the original data that has the 123 values (obviously
    there all different values). I have a second spreadsheet that has calculated
    how much each of the 36 cells should change by. This sheet has the 3 values
    in them. I want to copy the change 36 cells in the change sheet and do a
    paste special add on the original and have the original file now show =123+3,
    not 126. Make sense?

  4. #4
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Convert Values to formulas

    the only way i can think to do it is make a new text array.
    In a cell on the second sheet type ="="&A1&"+"&A2,copy down and or across to
    make a new text array copy and paste back into the original sheet.This
    assumes the original value is in a1 and the change value is a2.Probably best
    to paste this in an adjacent array so as to not overwrite actual calculation
    values?

  5. #5
    TSter
    Guest

    RE: Convert Values to formulas

    This did accomplish what I wanted! Thanks! Follow up though. I can copy
    this text cell to another cell doing a Paste Special-Value. Do you know how
    I can easily convert this cell from text back to an excel formula? I can
    click in the cell and hit enter and it will do this, but I would need to do
    this with thousands of cells. Can you think of any way to do this to a whole
    selection of cells?

  6. #6
    Overland Park, KS
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Convert Values to formulas

    Just in case someone comes across this years afterward like I did, there is a trick to get this to update correctly after pasting the values.

    So add a ? before the equals sign in your text string.

    Now, just as the OP said, he did a Paste Special and choose Values. Now you should have a bunch of cells with formulas showing in all of them. Select them all and Ctrl+H (Find and Replace) and Replace all your ? signs with nothing. All the cells should update according to the formula.