"Between" function?

  1. #1
    fpd833
    Guest

    "Between" function?

    Is there such a thing? I'm working on a spreadsheet with a scoring matrix
    that looks like this:

    A B C D E
    Low High Score QScore EndScore
    0 1.00 1 3.56 4
    1.01 2.00 2
    2.01 3.00 3
    3.01 4.00 4
    4.01 5.00 5

    Col A is the low end of the range, Col B is the high end of the range. I'm
    looking to take D2, compare it to the table above and return the appropriate
    score from Col C into Col E. So essentially I am looking to take the value in
    Col D, find out which range it falls within, and return the appropriate value
    from Col C. I can't seem to find a function that will allow me to take the
    value from Col D, find which range it's "between" and return the right value.
    Make sense? Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: "Between" function?

    How about

    =VLOOKUP(D2,A1:C6,3)

    RP
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    fpd833
    Guest

    Re: "Between" function?

    No go, this wont work unless the QScore in ColD is an exact match to the low
    or high end of the range.

    In the example I provided, the person received a QScore of 3.56
    (ColD)....this is between 3.01 and 4.0 (ColA and ColB) so it should return
    the number 4 from ColC in to ColE.

    Thank you for the help Bob!

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: "Between" function?

    "fpd833" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >No go, this wont work unless the QScore in ColD is an exact match to the
    >low
    >or high end of the range.

    Wrong. With no 4th argument, VLOOKUP matches the largest value in the first
    column of its 2nd argument less than or equal to its 1st argument. Try
    reading online help for functions suggested by others before you blithely
    dismiss them.

    >In the example I provided, the person received a QScore of 3.56
    >(ColD)....this is between 3.01 and 4.0 (ColA and ColB) so it should return
    >the number 4 from ColC in to ColE.

    Why don't you just *TRY* Bob's formula? What's the worst that could happen
    other than proving you don't know how VLOOKUP works?

  5. #5
    fpd833
    Guest

    Re: "Between" function?

    Harlan,

    I didn’t dismiss the advice (blithely or otherwise). I actually did try
    Bob’s suggestion and received an error. In the end the error was mine, as I
    had not noticed Bob had left off the 4th argument. For this I apologize. I
    will strive to be as infallible as you in the future.

    Nowhere in this string did I proclaim to be an expert on how a VLOOKUP
    works, or anything else for that matter. If I were an expert I would have no
    reason to be posting in this newsgroup.

    I would like to thank you for taking time out of your busy life to peruse
    this newsgroup and clarify issues for the less educated. Despite your reply
    being presumptuous, insulting and rude; this issue is much clearer for me
    now. It is very comforting to know when a novice like me reaches out for help
    that there are fine dilettantes such as yourself providing the subject matter
    expertise. Very eloquent and reassuring.

    Maybe in the future you could provide those you decide to grace with your
    wisdom with a modicum of respect. What’s the worst that could happen? Someone
    may be appreciative and thankful? Neither happened in this case. Your Excel
    skills may be finely tuned, but your people skills leave a lot to be desired.
    Kudos to you.

    My true thanks go out to Bob Phillips. You sir, are a gentleman and a
    scholar. Maybe Harlan will glean a small sliver of your tact and
    understanding. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: "Between" function?

    "fpd833" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >I didn't dismiss the advice (blithely or otherwise). I actually did try
    >Bob's suggestion and received an error. In the end the error was mine, as I
    >had not noticed Bob had left off the 4th argument. For this I apologize. I
    >will strive to be as infallible as you in the future.

    Yes, do try. Perhaps just copying formulas from newsgroup postings and
    pasting into Excel. That way your own manifestly inadequate typing, er,
    skills wouldn't be overtaxed.

    >Maybe in the future you could provide those you decide to grace with your
    >wisdom with a modicum of respect. What's the worst that could happen?

    When they DESERVE respect, they get respect. Then there are those like you.

    Reread your response:

    >>"fpd833" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >>>No go, this wont work unless the QScore in ColD is an exact match to the
    >>>low or high end of the range.

    Don't presume you know the answer. Here's evidence you don't.