Checking names on correct line across sheets

  1. #1
    Ali
    Guest

    Checking names on correct line across sheets

    Hi, I have approx 12 sheets. On each Column A is a list of 87 names. Some
    changes have been made to later lists but I need to correct all lists to eb
    the same. How do I ensure that the SAME name appears on the SAME line across
    all sheets as the final sheet reads totals from a formula. Checking each
    list manually is taking too long. Thanks

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Checking names on correct line across sheets

    Hi!

    The quickest way would be to sort the sheets!

    If you can't do that:

    Temporarily rename your sheets to 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

    Assume the names are in the range A1:A87

    Enter this formula in B1 and copy across to 12 cells then down 87 rows:

    =MATCH($A1,INDIRECT(COLUMNS($A:A)&"!A1:A87"),0)

    This will show you where each name is in each sheet. If all the numbers are
    the same in all 12 columns across that means that name is in the same place
    on each sheet.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Checking names on correct line across sheets

    Even better:

    Select and group the 12 sheets in question.

    Double click in each of the name cells then hit enter.

    This may sound like a lot to go through but it should only take a min! How
    fast can you double click and hit enter?

    Make sure you ungroup the sheets when done.

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Checking names on correct line across sheets

    Just a little clarification:

    >Double click in each of the name cells then hit enter.

    You only need to do this on any one of the sheets not all sheets. That's why
    they've been grouped! What you do to one sheet will be done to all.

    In essence, what you're doing is re-entering the name in the cell and it
    will be re-entered to the same cell in each sheet.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ali
    Guest

    RE: Checking names on correct line across sheets

    Hi Biff
    Thanks worked fantastically. U seem clued. Would u object to me sending you
    a graph to look at as I have had it posted with no luck as yet.
    Thanks again

  6. #6
    Ali
    Guest

    Re: Checking names on correct line across sheets

    Thanks, preferred first method as there are more columns linked to column A
    in each sheet. If I re-enter only the name the corresponding data in other
    columns will not move. First method worked great as there were just specific
    cells on each worksheet that needed correcting.