Need formula or Function to sum value of every other cell in a col

  1. #1
    Brent
    Guest

    Need formula or Function to sum value of every other cell in a col

    Hello,

    I have a need to sum the values in every other cell, and sometimes every
    third cell, in a column or row.

    Thanks
    --
    Brent

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Need formula or Function to sum value of every other cell in a col

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW(A1:A20),2)=1),A1:A20)

    gets A1,A3, etc.

    To get A2,A4, etc. then change =1 to =0.

    For every third, do a MOD(...,3)

    etc.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Need formula or Function to sum value of every other cell in a col

    Gonna have to modify this a little, depending on how your data is set up.
    This formula assumes your data range is A1:A20, and the number of rows in
    between that you want to skip in the sum is located in B1.

    =SUMPRODUCT((MOD(ROW(A1:A20),B1)=0)*(A1:A20))

    So, if you had 2 located in B1, this formula will give you a sum of
    A2+A4+A6+...+A20.

    If you have a 3 located in B1, this formula will give you a sum of
    A3+A6+A9+...+A18.

    Dave