If I have two reoated data-sets and a common code, how can I get i

  1. #1
    helixed
    Guest

    If I have two reoated data-sets and a common code, how can I get i

    from one to the other? For example, in column A in both data sets, I
    assigned a code for each fishing expedition in my data set. One worksheet
    has all the fish that were caught on each respective fishing expedition. The
    other has some general data on time of departure, means of transportation,
    that sort of thing. I now need to get time of departure and some other info
    from the one dataset and combine it with the fishing harvest data. However,
    because not every fishing trip was successful, it's not a one-to-one match,
    precluding the possibility of a simple cut-and-paste.

    How can I tell Excel to pull out only those records that have a
    corresponding match in the fishing harvest worksheet (e.g. codes
    1,7,11,12,15,18, etc.) without doing this manually.?

    Thanks a million for any advice.
    helixed

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: If I have two reoated data-sets and a common code, how can I get i

    Check for help on the vlookup function. It's very helpful for pulling data
    from multiple tables that have a key element (your expedition codes, for
    example) in common. Be sure to use the final argument in the vlookup
    function to require an exact match.