use of sumproduct function

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    R..VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    use of sumproduct function

    I wrote this fomula in a cell in the workbook <book5>
    =SUMPRODUCT([Book4]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$16=A2)*[Book4]Sheet1!$B$2:$B$16
    the result of the formula is 0(not #value)

    Does it mean this type of using the sumproduct function is not allowed or
    have I done anything wrong?.

    of course later I tentatively solved the problem by using sumproduct in
    book4 itself and transferring the data to Book5 by using vlookup
    function.because Book5 contains unique values of column A of Book4.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: use of sumproduct function

    There is nothing that restricts sumproduct using it from one workbook to
    another, of course you didn't paste in the whole formula but the only way
    would be some formatting issues with numbers seen as text or
    leading/trailing spaces
    If a formula wouldn't work because of limits you would get an error

    Peo Sjoblom

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    R..VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: use of sumproduct function

    thank you very much for the prompt elucidation.
    the numbers are in number format. I also checked by pearsons addin for any
    lading or trailing spaces.

    I did not make it clear. sorry
    The point here is condition(A2) is in workbook Book5 and the data for the
    sumproduct is in another workbook Book4 and the formula is entered in the
    workbook Book5.

    the formula is repeated for easy refernce
    entry in BOOK5.sheet1.range("B2") is
    =SUMPRODUCT([Book4]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$16=A2)*[Book4]Sheet1!$B$2:$B$16

    thank you once again.
    XP/excel 2002

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: use of sumproduct function

    This works for me

    =SUMPRODUCT(--([Book4]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$16=A2),[Book4]Sheet1!$B$2:$B$16)

    or

    =SUMPRODUCT(([Book4]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$16=A2)*[Book4]Sheet1!$B$2:$B$16)

    what your probably did was to leave out a parenthesis and then Excel gave
    you the advice to change the formula and that advice was incorrect

    the benefit of the former is that it ignores text in case there should be
    text by mistake or result from IF like
    a blank "" while the latter will return #VALUE!

  5. #5
    R..VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: use of sumproduct function