How to enter numerical numbers in rows where value is same

  1. #1
    Ann
    Guest

    How to enter numerical numbers in rows where value is same

    I have 500 lines and would like to number each row, however some rows contain
    the same information 2 or more times, so I need to keep the numbering in
    sequence by repeating the same number where the rows contain the same
    information.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How to enter numerical numbers in rows where value is same

    Hi!

    Try this:

    Assume your data is in the range A1:A500.

    In B1 enter 1.

    Enter this formula in B2 and copy down to B500:

    =IF(A2=A1,B1,B1+1)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ann
    Guest

    Re: How to enter numerical numbers in rows where value is same

    Thank you very much but =IF(A2=A1,B1,B1+1) did not work for me. Any other
    suggestions?
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How to enter numerical numbers in rows where value is same

    Post an example of your data and what result you expect.

  5. #5
    Ann
    Guest

    Re: How to enter numerical numbers in rows where value is same

    Here's an example: Below I have entered 3 parts , but I have a toal of 6 rows
    because I want to enter #7 twice,#8 once and #9 is entered 3 times.
    7 388018400
    7 388018400
    8 387844800
    9 388018500
    9 388018500
    9 388018500

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How to enter numerical numbers in rows where value is same

    Take a look at this screencap:

    http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5531/countrows9vn.jpg

  7. #7
    Ann
    Guest

    Re: How to enter numerical numbers in rows where value is same

    Thank you again for your help but it did not work for me.

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How to enter numerical numbers in rows where value is same

    Well, the only other thing I can suggest is that if you'd like me to take a
    look at your file then I can see what's "going on".

    If you want to do that just let me know how to contact you.