Counta and rows..

  1. #1
    Ju
    Guest

    Counta and rows..

    Hi all,

    I need help on the last part of the formula:

    =OFFSET($A$1,(MATCH("Grand Total",A:A,0)-1),COUNTA("where the cell in
    column a contains "Grand total"))

    This is for referencing the grand total in a pivot table..

    I can't use a static top row, as it may contain blank cells, as fields
    are added or removed.

    Thank you.

    Ju

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Counta and rows..

    Hi Ju,

    Perhaps?

    =OFFSET($A$1,MATCH("Grand Total",A:A,0)-1,
    COUNTA(INDIRECT(MATCH("Grand Total",A:A,0)&":"&MATCH("Grand
    Total",A:A,0)))-1)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Counta and rows..

    I just created a quick pivot table with NAME and #. I went to a cell
    outside the table and had it reference the grand total. This is what I got
    for a formula

    =GETPIVOTDATA("#",$A$3)

    When I added more data items, I got this
    =GETPIVOTDATA("Count of #",$A$3)
    =GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of #",$A$3)

    $A$3 is where the top right corner of the pivot table is located.

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Counta and rows..

    Hi Bob

    Doesn't that just produce the result "Grand Total"?
    I'm not really sure what the OP is after, or what he wants to do with
    the result, as the Grand Total row in the PT is going to provide the
    various totals.
    If he just wants to know which row the Grand Total appears on then
    =MATCH("Grand Total",E:E,0) will provide the row number

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Counta and rows..

    That should have read
    =MATCH("Grand Total",A:A,0)
    of course
    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Counta and rows..

    Hi Roger,

    No, it returns the last column in the row that contains Grand Total.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Counta and rows..

    Hi Bob

    As you know, today is not a good day<bg>. The glow is increasing!!!
    In copying yourr formula, and taking out the line wraps from the email,
    I inadvertently removed the space between the last "Grand" and "Total",
    hence the result it was returning for me.

    Having corrected for that, the formula does return the value for the
    last column in the Grand Total row as you say.
    My apologies.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Counta and rows..

    No problem, at least it is creating a bit more warmth over here <bg>

    Bob

  9. #9
    Ju
    Guest

    Re: Counta and rows..

    Hi Bob,

    Yes, it works perfectly. Thank you so much!

    Ju

  10. #10
    Ju
    Guest

    Re: Counta and rows..

    Hi,

    I am not familiar with this function.
    I tried, but it didnt work in my case because my fields get re-arranged
    into many configurations very often.
    But I will use it for other more fixed type of pivot tables.
    Thanks.

    Ju