Scenario?

  1. #1
    simmerdown
    Guest

    Scenario?

    I have a list of numbers (approximately 3000) that sum to X. However, my
    control figure is Y.

    Is there a formula that will evaluate the list of 3000 numbers and return
    those that when summed, equal the difference between X and Y?

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Scenario?

    You could do this with Solver but with 3000 number, it is unlikely that
    there is a unique solution.
    Do you care?
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    simmerdown
    Guest

    Re: Scenario?

    No, I don't care. At least that would narrow down the field, then I could
    take it from there.

  4. #4
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Scenario?

    Assuming your numbers are in A1:A3000
    In B1:B3000 enter 1
    C1 =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A3000, B1:B3000), C2 = Y (your target), C3 = ABS(C1-C2)

    In Solver
    Changing cells B1:B3000
    Constraints C3=0 and B1:B3000 bin (binary - i.e. 0 or 1)
    Solve

    Does it work with your data?

  5. #5
    simmerdown
    Guest

    Re: Scenario?

    I really appreciate your help.

    After inputting the information as described, once I hit "solver" I receive
    a message that says "too many adjustable cells".

    Any thoughts?

  6. #6
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Scenario?

    Play with a smaller set of data and see if that works.
    If so we can try to work out something

  7. #7
    simmerdown
    Guest

    Re: Scenario?

    I narrowed the data down to about 25 figures. Again, I'm trying to
    determine, of these figures, which of these when summed adds to X.

    I used the solver listed below on the 25 figures, however I'm not sure I
    understand the results.

    Is there a possibility I could email you a sample file?