V LookUp

  1. #1
    rojobrown
    Guest

    V LookUp

    I am trying to set up a file that is user friendly. One sheet will be the
    sheet to key and the other sheet will be password protected with valueable
    information that will need to be inputed into another system electronically.
    I would like for the user to be able to key in one number and the other
    information flood in. How can I set up a v look up to accomplish this? (I
    was using a seperate sheet to have the table of information but can't seem to
    get it to work). I can't use the if statement because I have about 20-30
    items that need to be used... Any ideas? I'm a visual person...

    Example:
    User keys in:

    Account Number 123456

    Output (All in different cells and on another sheet)

    (A1)Customer Name: ABC Sales
    (B1)Address: 123 Main
    Etc....
    --
    rojobrown

  2. #2
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: V LookUp

    Hi rojo,

    If you can send me an example worksheet I will give it a go.

    Regards,
    Howard

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    BekkiM
    Guest

    RE: V LookUp

    Set up a Customer List (use a named range; see
    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html for details) with columns like this:
    A B C
    1 CustNum CustName CustAddress

    On your "input" spreadsheet, the user enters the Customer Number (which
    could also be a drop-down list; see
    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html for details) in A1

    Use the following formulas:
    Cell B1: =VLOOKUP(A1,Customer_List,2,false)
    Cell B2: =VLOOKUP(A1,Customer_List,3,false)

    The formulas can be on the same "input" sheet (use Protect Cells to limit
    what your user can type over and what he/she can't) or on a separate sheet
    (in which case, your reference to A1 will have to include the sheet name).