Convert Unix timestamp to Readable Date/time

  1. #1
    Emily
    Guest

    Convert Unix timestamp to Readable Date/time

    Are there any Excel functions available to convert Unix time (seconds since
    1/1/1970) to a readable date/tiem? Or does anyone know of a calculation I
    can do to convert this type of data to a date/time that is more usable?

    I can find converters on the web, but I need a function or macros within
    excel.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Convert Unix timestamp to Readable Date/time

    If your Unix time is in cell A1, then =A1/(24*60*60) + DATE(1970,1,1) should
    convert it; you'll have to apply a Date/Time format to the result.
    --Bruce
    (BTW the division by 24*60*60 is because '1' represents a day in Excel.
    Also, I've interpreted your post to mean that Unix time started at 12:00:00am
    on 1/1/70).

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Convert Unix timestamp to Readable Date/time

    bpeltzer wrote...
    >If your Unix time is in cell A1, then =A1/(24*60*60) + DATE(1970,1,1) should
    >convert it; you'll have to apply a Date/Time format to the result.
    >--Bruce
    >(BTW the division by 24*60*60 is because '1' represents a day in Excel.
    >Also, I've interpreted your post to mean that Unix time started at 12:00:00am
    >on 1/1/70).

    Unix epoch time is supposed to be UTC (GMT), so time zone adjustment
    may be needed as well.