Splitting Column Data into 2 fields

  1. #1
    Kevin
    Guest

    Splitting Column Data into 2 fields

    Hi All,

    I have a column that recieves date and time data in the following format:
    01/03/2006 16:00:00 (mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss)

    It is causing me some troubles, namely in calculating elapsed time between 2
    data points because Excel doesn't seem to like the format the data comes in
    and recognizes it as text instead of a date.

    Is there a way to split this into 2 columns, one for date the other for
    time, (Sort of a reverse concatate?) and is this my best course of action or
    is there a more efficient solution to this?

    Thanks kindly!
    Kevin

  2. #2

    Re: Splitting Column Data into 2 fields

    You could convert the text to a value using the text function as
    follows:

    =TEXT(A2,"mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss")

  3. #3
    Kevin
    Guest

    Re: Splitting Column Data into 2 fields

    Thanks Edessary, is it possible to make this conditional, I assume through an
    IF statement, so that if the reference cell is not Null, the Text is
    converted to a value? I ask because the Imported Date/Time stamp comming
    over as a Text field is of variable length, and I'd like to make the
    converted column expand or collapse with the number of reference cells
    imported into the column.

    I'm not sure that made sense or not...

    Thanks!
    Kevin

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Splitting Column Data into 2 fields

    Hi!

    Try this:

    Try it on a single cell first to see if it will work!

    Select one of the faux date cells
    Goto Data>Text to Columns>Next>Next
    Select Date and MDY format from the drop down
    Finish

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: Splitting Column Data into 2 fields

    If I understand you correctly try the following:

    =IF(A2="","",TEXT(A2,"mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss"))