Dynamic Range, Data Validation and Address, Match and Offset Funct

  1. #1
    rudawg
    Guest

    Dynamic Range, Data Validation and Address, Match and Offset Funct

    Hello all,

    Perhaps someone will be kind enough to help me.

    I am creating a project management spreadsheet. What I have done is:

    1) On Worksheet "Project list", among others I have column headings of:

    Row/Col A B M

    6 START
    7 Project# Project Name Dependent on?

    8 001 Get T1 Line Null
    9 002 New Logo design Null
    18 011 Order Letterhead 002
    35 028 Set up Computers 001
    41 Asterisk Next new record
    42 ---Blank Row---
    43 END

    2) I have created a "List" from this table so that each time I add a project
    name, a new formatted line is inserted at the end of the table and it is
    automatically numbered in sequence.(001, 002, .....095 etc) using
    =TEXT(ROW($A1),"000")

    3) Above the list, in the first 5 rows of the spreadsheet, I have put
    general information like the date and the company name.

    4) In cell A6, I have typed the word "START"

    5) Outside of the list, currently in cell A43, I have typed the word "END".
    As new projects are added, however, "END" will move down the spreadsheet.
    Also, I would like to make a template out of this spreadsheet and the number
    of rows before I get to the "List" might fluctuate.

    6) What I am trying to do is incorporate a data validation on col M that
    references the project #'s in Col A. Each time I add a new record, it's
    project # should be available to the data validation in Col M.

    7) I have named a range as "DynamicRange" and set the Data Validation Source
    for Col M to "= DynamicRange"

    Now the puzzle:

    OFFSET(reference,rows,cols,height,width)

    =OFFSET('Project List'!$A$8,0,0,33,1)
    - this works but would need constant updating

    =OFFSET('Project List'!$A$8,0,0,COUNTA('Project List'!$A$8:$A$65536),1)
    - this works but I can not add rows above the list or add anything in Col A
    below the list

    =OFFSET('Project List'!$A$8,0,0,((MATCH("END",'Project
    List'!$A:$A,0))-(MATCH("START",'Project List'!$A:$A,0))-4),1)
    - this also works, but still I can not insert or delete rows above the list
    without updating the formula

    I have tried:
    ADDRESS((MATCH("START",'Project List'!$A:$A,0)+2),1,1,1,"Project List")
    the result of this formula looks to be exactly what I want:
    it returns 'Project List'!$A$8

    I have plugged this formula in to the OFFSET formula as the reference,

    =OFFSET((ADDRESS((MATCH("START",'Project List'!$A:$A,0)+2),1,1,1,"Project
    List")),0,0,((MATCH("END",'Project List'!$A:$A,0))-(MATCH("START",'Project
    List'!$A:$A,0))-4),1)

    but all I get is an error.

    Sorry for the length.......anyone have any ideas. Is there a better way???

    Thanks
    Excel 2003 on Windows XP

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Range, Data Validation and Address, Match and OffsetFunct

    Name the cell that contains the heading Project# as StartCell
    Name the cell that contains the word End as EndCell
    For the data validation cells, use the formula:

    =OFFSET(StartCell,1,0,ROW(EndCell)-ROW(StartCell)-3,1)

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    rudawg
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Range, Data Validation and Address, Match and Offset F

    Thank you........works like a charm..........I almost wish it weren't so
    simple. Could I have gotten there going the way I was going? Can you use
    the ADDRESS function as the reference in the OFFSET function?

    Thanks again

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Range, Data Validation and Address, Match and OffsetF

    ADDRESS returns a string, not a range reference. Instead, you could use
    the INDIRECT function, e.g.

    INDIRECT("R"&MATCH("START",A:A,0)&"C1",FALSE)