multiple vlookup

  1. #1

    multiple vlookup

    I have a different workbooks, the one workbook takes the output from
    out employee time logging system and outputs in a format like this

    All.xls
    Name time in time out
    ABC Robert L Jones 09:00 17:30
    SDDF James Smith 09:05 17:20
    etc...

    The other workbooks are the managers ones that contain just the info
    they need.

    Manager1.xls
    And then in the different manager's excel workbook we have it like
    this:
    Name time in time out
    Bob Jones 09:00 17:30

    Manager2.xls
    Name time in time out
    Jim Smith 09:00 17:30

    I created a sheet "matches" that matches the output from the system to
    the manager's name like this:
    System output Manager workbook
    ABC Robert L Jones Bob Jones
    SDDF James Smith Jim Smith

    I would like to link the manager's work book to the all.xls workbook so
    that I can automatically pull out the time in and time out stats from
    the all.xls system output. I could do this using vlookup if the names
    in the manager's workbook were the same in the all.xls but now have to
    somehow do two lookups first in the "match" sheet and then to pull up
    from the all.xls worksheet.

    How would I do a double vlookup.

    A single lookup in the manager's workbook without referencing the name
    matches would look something like this:
    VLOOKUP($A2,'[All.xls]29'!$A$2:$C$84,2,FALSE) for the time in
    VLOOKUP($A2,'[All.xls]29'!$A$2:$C$84,2,FALSE) for the time out
    Where 29 is the name of the sheet (representing todays date)

  2. #2
    damorrison
    Guest

    Re: multiple vlookup

    Is there an employee number for each staff??

  3. #3
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    You should just be able to replace the $A2 in this formula

    VLOOKUP($A2,'[All.xls]29'!$A$2:$C$84,2,FALSE)

    with your first VLOOKUP, e.g. something like

    VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP($A2,namematchtable,2,0),'[All.xls]29'!$A$2:$C$84,2,FALSE)

  4. #4
    Philippe L. Balmanno
    Guest

    Re: multiple vlookup

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I have a different workbooks, the one workbook takes the output from
    > out employee time logging system and outputs in a format like this
    >
    > All.xls
    > Name time in time out
    > ABC Robert L Jones 09:00 17:30
    > SDDF James Smith 09:05 17:20
    > etc...
    >
    > The other workbooks are the managers ones that contain just the info
    > they need.
    >
    > Manager1.xls
    > And then in the different manager's excel workbook we have it like
    > this:
    > Name time in time out
    > Bob Jones 09:00 17:30
    >
    > Manager2.xls
    > Name time in time out
    > Jim Smith 09:00 17:30
    >
    > I created a sheet "matches" that matches the output from the system to
    > the manager's name like this:
    > System output Manager workbook
    > ABC Robert L Jones Bob Jones
    > SDDF James Smith Jim Smith
    >
    > I would like to link the manager's work book to the all.xls workbook so
    > that I can automatically pull out the time in and time out stats from
    > the all.xls system output. I could do this using vlookup if the names
    > in the manager's workbook were the same in the all.xls but now have to
    > somehow do two lookups first in the "match" sheet and then to pull up
    > from the all.xls worksheet.
    >
    > How would I do a double vlookup.
    >
    > A single lookup in the manager's workbook without referencing the name
    > matches would look something like this:
    > VLOOKUP($A2,'[All.xls]29'!$A$2:$C$84,2,FALSE) for the time in
    > VLOOKUP($A2,'[All.xls]29'!$A$2:$C$84,2,FALSE) for the time out
    > Where 29 is the name of the sheet (representing todays date)

    Chip Pearson has a web page working with time sheet (time in and time out)
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/overtime.htm
    Could it be of help?