adding individual cells in a column

  1. #1
    Sheila
    Guest

    adding individual cells in a column

    I have a column with the text T1, T2 and T3 in the cells. I need a
    calculation to add all the T1's together, all the T2's together and all the
    T3's. Can anyone help me?
    --
    Sheila

  2. #2
    Bobby
    Guest

    RE: adding individual cells in a column

    Look at concatenate or post example and expected results
    HTH

  3. #3
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: adding individual cells in a column

    Not sure what you mean here.
    Do you mean you want to count the number of T1s etc?
    =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"T1") assuming your column is A.

    Do you mean you want the sum the values in another column when column A is
    T1?
    =SUMIF(A1:A10,"T1",B1:B10) assuming T1 etc is in column A and your values in
    column B.

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: adding individual cells in a column

    If you to count the occurrences of T1's, T2's, etc, try something like this:

    For values in A1:A100

    To count T1's
    C1: =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,"T1")

    Alternatively:
    B1: T1
    C1: =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,B1)

    B2: T2
    C2: =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,B2)
    etc

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: adding individual cells in a column

    COUNTIF() will do it, but so will a Pivot Table if you are familiar with
    those.

    http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/...pivotstart.htm

    --
    Regards