Wild Card Search

  1. #1
    roy.okinawa
    Guest

    Wild Card Search

    Is there a way to use a wild card character to search for all text?
    Something like this:
    =IF(A2="","",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("All text",B2)),A2+ROW()/10^10,""))

    Column A has a date. Column B has text. I enter a date in C1 and all the
    text in Column B is populated starting at C2 and carried on down the column
    for all text matching the entered date.

  2. #2
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Wild Card Search

    How about:

    =IF(A2=C$1,B2,"")

    entered into C2 and copied down as necessary.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Philip J Smith
    Guest

    RE: Wild Card Search

    Try

    =if(cell("type",B2)="l",then,else)

    "l" is lower case L standing for "Label". See the help for this function
    describing other data "type".

    Regards

    Phil

  4. #4
    roy.okinawa
    Guest

    Re: Wild Card Search

    Pete,

    That works for me. Thanks.

    Now is there a way to make it look for mm/yyyy instead of a single date.
    There will be times when I need to see the whole month instead of a single
    day.

    The date in the cell will be in this order: mm/dd/yyyy

  5. #5
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Wild Card Search

    Hi Roy,

    Glad it worked for you. You could try this to search on the month:

    =IF(MONTH(A2)=MONTH(C$1),B2,"")

    and copy it down. The limitation here is that if you have dates
    spanning several years and you put 1st Jan 2006 in C1, then you will
    have January details showing for all years. You can use the YEAR( )
    function with AND to refine this.

    Hope this helps further.

    Pete