Color background with Matching cells in row

  1. #1
    Diggsy
    Guest

    Color background with Matching cells in row

    Hello,
    I hace a worksheet that has many rows of data with 36 columns. I need to
    find a way that if two or more columns in that row have matching values, I
    can change the background color to red

    Here is a example. The numbers are actually formatted as text and not numbers.
    A B C D E F G
    12 14 16 8 24 8 14 -----Cells B D F G should be red
    15 5 6 5 6 2 9 Cells B C D E should be red

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    regards

    Chris

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Color background with Matching cells in row

    Try something like this:
    Assuming your data is in Cells A1:AJ100

    Select that range, with A1 as the active cell
    Format>Conditional formatting
    Formula is: =COUNTIF($A1:$AJ1,A1)>1
    Click the [Format...] button
    Set the format you want, then click the [OK] buttons.

    (Note the dollar signs in the forumula above)

    Change range references to suit your situation.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    Diggsy
    Guest

    RE: Color background with Matching cells in row

    Thank you ,but unfortunately it did not help. Is there any other way or
    suggestions you may have?

    Regards

    Chris

  4. #4
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: Color background with Matching cells in row

    try:
    =COUNTIF($A1:$G1,A1)>1
    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  5. #5
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: Color background with Matching cells in row

    Actually, looking again at Ron's answer, the only difference in mine is that
    he assumed range through AJ. I don't know why the answer he gave you
    wouldn't have worked.
    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  6. #6
    Diggsy
    Guest

    RE: Color background with Matching cells in row

    Tried it again and it works great. Thanks Ron and Kevin.

    Chris

  7. #7
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Color background with Matching cells in row

    You're welcome....I'm glad that worked for you.

    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro