Compare two Numbers - Determine Decrease, Increase, Same

  1. #1
    Michael
    Guest

    Compare two Numbers - Determine Decrease, Increase, Same

    Hi Folks - I have this data:

    StudentID Pre-test Score Post-test Score
    2 90 85
    3 95 95

    I'd like to create a formula that compares the two numbers, then determines
    whether the post-test score was an increase, decrease or stayed the same.
    Any ideas? Thanks.

    Michael

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Assuming your range is A1:C4 then in D2

    =IF(C2>B2,"Increase",IF(C2<B2,"Decrease","Same"))

    HTH

    Steve

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Compare two Numbers - Determine Decrease, Increase, Same

    Try something like this:

    Prev score in B2
    New score in C2
    D2: =CHOOSE(SIGN(C2-B2)+2,"Decrease","Same","Increase")

    Copy D2 down as far as you need

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: Compare two Numbers - Determine Decrease, Increase, Same

    HI,

    You may try the following trick to depict up and down arrows instead of text

    =if(C1>B1,Alt+24,Alt+25)

    The Alt+24,Alt+25 is not typed. Instead hold down the Alt key (num lock key
    is turned on) and type 24 on the numeric keypad

    Regards,

    Ashish