how to compare text fields in 2 different columns in excel

  1. #1
    ljt1
    Guest

    how to compare text fields in 2 different columns in excel

  2. #2
    Sydney
    Thought I'd dust the cobwebs off this one as it seems to be very old.
    Suppose text1 is in A1 and text2 is in A2 .
    Then =a1=a2 should do the trick.
    If the data is the same then "True" will be displayed.
    If the data is different then "False" will be displayed.

    Regards Mick Barry
    You know that you are getting old,
    when you finally reach the top of the ladder,
    and find it leaning against the wrong wall.

  3. #3
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: how to compare text fields in 2 different columns in excel

    Hi,

    If the Text data needs to be matched exactly including the Uppercase or
    lowercase, then use

    =EXACT(A1,A2)

    This will return true, when text in A1 and A2 are exact match.

    If you dont want to do an exact match including case, then use

    =IF(A1=A2,"TRUE","FALSE")

    Regards

    Govind.