Counting Cell with Quotation

  1. #1
    scott
    Guest

    Counting Cell with Quotation

    In my ss operators enter in numbers to change settings at times the
    operatortors forget that all they have to enter is whole numbers and add the
    quotation marks. Is there a way to count these quotation marks.
    Example--should be 10 they enter 10' or 10"

    Thanks Scott

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    You could try

    =SUMPRODUCT(ISTEXT(A1:A100)*1)

    Which would count all the non numeric values which is what i guess you want

    You could of course use data,validation and set a condition to stop them being entered in the first place, whole number if they are always whole numbers

    Regards

    Dav

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Counting Cell with Quotation

    =SUM(COUNTIF(A:A,{"*'*","*""*"}))

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: Counting Cell with Quotation

    Maybe:
    =COUNTIF(A1:A11,"10*")+COUNTIF(A1:A11,10)
    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Counting Cell with Quotation

    Instead of trying to account for input errors after entry, why not use Data
    Validation to ensure that only valid numbers are entered?

    Select the input cells
    Data>Validation>
    Allow: Whole Number
    Data: Between (set the limits)