... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

  1. #1
    Dr. Darrell
    Guest

    ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    I have a worksheet that I enter time values into individual cells:

    A1 = 6:00
    B1 = 12:00
    C1 = 12:45
    D1 = 17:15

    When I enter these values, I would like some of the values to round to the
    next higher "30 minute increment" such as Cell C1 should become 13:00.

    I would also like some of the values to round back to the next lower "30
    minute increment" such as Cell D1 should become 17:00.

    What function should I use, or what code should I type for this.

    Darrell

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    Hi

    One way
    =IF(MINUTE(A1)<30,FLOOR(A1,TIME(0,30,0)),CEILING(A1,TIME(1,0,0)))

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    Try
    =ROUND(C1*24,0)
    and format the cell as a number with two decimal places
    This will display 13.00 as opposed to 13:00, is that a problem? If so post
    back,
    Regards,
    Alan.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    =ROUNDDOWN(A1*48,0)/48

    Bob Phillips

  5. #5
    a7n9
    Guest

    RE: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    Although, this is not elegant it should get you started, suppose D5 has your
    time.
    =IF(MINUTE(D5)<30,TIME(HOUR(D5),0,0),IF(D5>30,TIME(HOUR(D5)+1,0,0),D5))

    Actually, the functions CEILING and FLOOR could be used, but I can't figure
    it right now.
    --
    -When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on

  6. #6
    Bob Tarburton
    Guest

    Re: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    I think Bob meant ROUNDUP

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    No, I meant ROUNDDOWN. The OP said ... I would also like some of the values
    to round back to the next lower "30

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Bob Tarburton
    Guest

    Re: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    Okay, now that I read the second half, I see that when to roundup/rounddown
    was not specified.
    My apologies, Bob

  9. #9
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    Aah! but it was.
    The OP said round to the next higher half hour when 12:45, and round
    back to 12:00 when it was 12:15
    Maybe
    =IF(MINUTE(A1)<30,ROUNDDOWN(A1*48,0)/48,ROUNDUP(A1*48,0)/48)

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    Geez that is confusing!

    Bob

    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    C'est la vie!!!

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  12. #12
    Bob Tarburton
    Guest

    Re: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    I should get off this one, but...
    note that the latest function always goes to the nearest top of the hour
    unless A1 is exactly the bottom of the hour, or
    =IF(MINUTE(A1)=30,A1,ROUND(A1*24,0)/24)

    Maybe
    =IF(AND(MINUTE(A1)<=15,MINUTE(A1)>=45),ROUNDDOWN(A1*48,0)/48,ROUNDUP(A1*48,0)/48)
    ??

  13. #13
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: ... round a time entry to the next "30 minute increment"...

    Hi Bob

    No, I don't think that is what the OP wanted.
    His request
    Data 6:00 12:00 12:45 17:15
    Result 6:00 12:00 13:00 17:00
    He didn't supply times for 6:30 and 12:30 but he did say the rounding
    should be to the 30 minutes, other than 0:15 goes down and 0:45 goes up.

    My first posting
    =IF(MINUTE(A1)<30,FLOOR(A1,TIME(0,30,0)),CEILING(A1,TIME(1,0,0)))
    Result 6:00 12:00 13:00 17:00 7:00 13:00
    both these last 2 (which I didn't test), would have been wrong.

    Bob's =ROUNDDOWN(A1*48,0)/48
    Result 6:00 12:00 12:30 17:00 6:30 12:30
    the first 12:30 is wrong

    My amendment of Bob
    =IF(MINUTE(A1)<30,ROUNDDOWN(A1*48,0)/48,ROUNDUP(A1*48,0)/48)
    Result 6:00 12:00 13:00 17:00 6:30 12:30
    all as requested

    Your latest proposal =IF(AND(MINUTE(A1)<=15,MINUTE(A1)>=45)
    ,ROUNDDOWN(A1*48,0)/48,ROUNDUP(A1*48,0)/48)
    Result 6:00 12:00 13:00 17:30 6:30 12:30
    the 17:30 time is wrong

    I think on balance, Bob's formula, with my amendment just shades it<bg>

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier