Case Sensitive w/ IF

  1. #1
    jeffP
    Guest

    Case Sensitive w/ IF

    All I'm trying to do is check a cell for a text answer:

    If ActiveCell.Text = "Yes" Then

    but I need to test for YES,YEs,Yes,and yes

    Do I really need to nest four If statements to do that?

    Thanks for any and all help

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Case Sensitive w/ IF

    If Ucase(ActiveCell.Text) = "YES" Then

    This checks whether the text in the active cell matches, when changed to
    upper case.

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Case Sensitive w/ IF

    One way:
    if lcase(activecell.text)="yes" then

    Another:
    if strcomp(activecell.text, "yes", vbtextcompare) = 0 then

    or put
    Option Compare Text
    at the top of the module

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Case Sensitive w/ IF

    On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 10:26:28 -0800, "jeffP" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >All I'm trying to do is check a cell for a text answer:
    >
    >If ActiveCell.Text = "Yes" Then
    >
    >but I need to test for YES,YEs,Yes,and yes
    >
    >Do I really need to nest four If statements to do that?
    >
    >Thanks for any and all help

    Do something like:

    If Ucase(ActiveCell.Text)= "Yes" Then

    --ron

  5. #5
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Case Sensitive w/ IF

    I experimented with

    Sub what()
    If UCase(ActiveCell.Text) = "YES" Then
    Range("D1") = "OK"
    Else
    Range("D1") = "No"

    and found <If UCase(ActiveCell.Text) = "YES"....> does what you want
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Case Sensitive w/ IF

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =OR(EXACT(A1,{"YES","YEs","Yes","yes"}))

    Biff

  7. #7
    jeffP
    Guest

    Re: Case Sensitive w/ IF

    Thanks to all for the quick and good answers.
    Always interested in learing so Dave could you explain further the Option
    Compare Text?

    thanks again

  8. #8

    Re: Case Sensitive w/ IF

    You can tell excel to ignore case in text comparisons for that module.

    Just put that "option compare text" at the top of the module.

    Put it at the top of a test module.
    select Option and hit F1. You'll see VBA's help for all the Option options.

  9. #9

    Re: Case Sensitive w/ IF

    Just a typo alert...

    I bet Ron meant YES in:

  10. #10
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Case Sensitive w/ IF

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 14:06:10 -0600, Dave Peterson <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Just a typo alert...
    >
    >I bet Ron meant YES in:
    >If Ucase(ActiveCell.Text)= "Yes" Then

    "Typos 'R Us"!!
    Thanks

    --ron

  11. #11
    jeffP
    Guest

    Re: Case Sensitive w/ IF

    Dave,
    I tried this originally 'cause it seemed so simple for my small routine BUT
    I put it inside the procedure and of course got error ....
    the strcomp works just fine also

    Thanks as always

  12. #12

    Re: Case Sensitive w/ IF

    I'm kind of confused. Does this mean that after you moved that
    "Option compare text" to the very top of the module that you got your code to
    work ok (with no change)?