lookup mutliple values to return one value

  1. #1
    David Pelizzari, IS Manager
    Guest

    lookup mutliple values to return one value

    I am trying to find a way to lookup more than one value in a row (vlookup) to
    return a value in a corresponding row. We have a list of values in column A
    (multiple entries of the same value) and a sub-value in column B (call it a
    part and a sub assembly in the columns). Each item in column B corresponds
    to an added value to the original part (column C). For example, if column A
    has two parts, 1 and 2, and 10 different sub-assemblies for each part, there
    are 10 rows in column A marked 1, and 10 marked 2. Column B has subassemlies
    1-10 for part 1, and 1-10 for part 2. Column C is the added value (for
    simplicity, each sub assembly costs a dollar). I want to know how much the
    part costs if only the first 5 subassemblies are added to the part (I know,
    $5). I have a "work in progress sheet that shows the part and how far along
    it is in the assembly (part 1, sub 4), so I would expect to return $4. I
    cheated the formula by concatenating the two fields on each of the
    spreadsheets and doing the vlookup based on that, but it's not a pretty way
    to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: lookup mutliple values to return one value

    One interp ..

    Assuming the data in cols A and B is within A2:B100,
    and the inputs are made in:

    C1: part# (eg: 1)
    D1: sub-assembly (eg: 2)
    E1: unit cost per sub-assembly (eg: 1)

    we could try in F1:
    =IF(OR(C1="",D1="",E1=""),"",E1*SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$100=C1)*($B$2:$B$100=D1)
    ))

    F1 can be copied down to compute correspondingly for other variations of
    inputs in C2:E2, C3:E3, etc
    --
    Max
    Singapore