Errors in COUNT, COUNTA, COUNTIF when counting merged cells

  1. #1
    Outback
    Guest

    Errors in COUNT, COUNTA, COUNTIF when counting merged cells

    I have a column that includes a numer of merged cells. The COUNT functions
    are not recognizing the merge, however, and are returning the number of
    pre-merged cells that are not blank, rather than the number of merged cells
    that are not blank.

    I am using Excel 2003 SP2

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Re: Errors in COUNT, COUNTA, COUNTIF when counting merged cells

    Another reason to avoid merged cells.

    Depending on how you merged your data, those "premerge cell's values" may still
    be hanging around.

    I'd unmerge the cells, clean up all but the topleft cell of the merge area and
    try it again.

    (Actually, I'd avoid the merged cells and use center across selection if I
    could!)