powers to negative numbers

  1. #1
    Dave.e
    Guest

    powers to negative numbers

    How can I find the inverse function of sine and also how do you find powers
    to negative numbers

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Dave,

    Check the ASIN function for the inverse of sine under Help.

    Still thinking about your other question.

    Steve

  3. #3

    Re: powers to negative numbers

    =3^-1
    or
    =POWER(3,-1)

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: powers to negative numbers

    Dave,

    =ASIN(value) (arc-sine)

    The return is in radians, not degrees. In degrees:

    =ASIN(value)*360/PI()

    For negative powers, for example,

    =2^(-3)

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

  9. #9
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    To get the inverse of an even power of a negative you should be able to use something like.

    =POWER(ABS(A1),1/2) where A1 is -100 the result is 10. Unfortunately, that is not 100% accurate because 10 needs to be multiplied by -10. This is due to the even number of times the number is multiplied by itself.

    If you are looking for odd powers then a negative is always returned.

    =POWER(ABS(A1),1/3) where A1 is the negative number you are looking to find the 3rd power of. So if A1 is -100 the result would be
    -4.64158883361278 which raised to the 3rd power results in -100. Even power analysis will always result in a positive.

    Does that help?

    Steve

  10. #10

    "Dave.e" wrote:
    > how do you find powers to negative numbers

    =4^(-2)
    =1/4^2

  11. #11
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: powers to negative numbers

    Bernie:
    I believe that should be =ASIN(value)*180/PI()
    That's why I always use =DEGREES(ASIN(value))
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme