Calculation Problem

  1. #1

    Calculation Problem

    Ok, I have a weird problem and have search everywhere I know of. Here it is.
    I have a table that looks like this
    _____________________
    |Status | Staff | Total_|
    |______|_____ |______|
    |23____|__8__ |__31__|
    |2_____|__3__ |__5___|
    |8_____|__1__ |__9___|
    |______|_____ |______|
    |______|_____ |______|
    |7_____|__3__ |__10__|
    |______|_____ |______|
    |40____|__0__ |______|

    Im using =SUM(A2:A8) and =SUM(B2:B8) for the bottom totals (40 and 0 which is supposed to be 15) The B column always sums to 0!!! Why is it doing this? I have never seen this problem before. Hopefully some of you have. Any reply would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Calculation Problem

    Looks like you have text in B. In D2 enter =ISNUMBER(B2) to test the 8
    IF not numbers, try this: Enter 1 in empty cell and copy; select B2:B8 and
    use Edit|Paste Special multiply. This generally forces text digits back to
    numbers.

    Also try formatting B2:B8 as General or number.
    Can you use Increase Decimal tool to get 8.00? If not then it is text.
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    "spiney" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: Calculation Problem

    Hope this doesn't double post.

    If sum is calculating as 0, most likely the range is formatted as text. Try
    this:
    Take an empty cell (the value of an empty cell is 0.) Hit cntl-c for copy.
    Choose Edit Paste Special and then add. This will convert those text values
    to numbers which sum will now calculate correctly.

    Kevin Vaughn

  4. #4
    Robert Stewart
    Guest

    Re: Calculation Problem

    B is formatted as text.

  5. #5
    Sry the late reply I'm doing this from work. I tried to force the text to numbers using your method and it worked, thank you all!!!