apply arithmetic functions on special multiple cells

  1. #1
    Zhekka
    Guest

    apply arithmetic functions on special multiple cells

    Hey all

    I've searched in the group history and haven't found the exact answer
    for my problem.

    I have an array of cells, each cell is calculated from the previous
    one(s) - but not always in the same way (it's not always the same
    formula)

    from each cell's VALUE i want to substract 1 and then multiply by 100

    I tried the special paste feature, but it's problematic, since it
    changes the value of the cell, and the next cell's value is changed
    (here's an example)

    A1 A2 A3
    1.2 1.4 1.2

    A1: 1.2
    A2: = A1+0.2
    A3: = A2-A1+1

    Here are the desired results:
    A1 A2 A3
    20 40 20

    Now, when applying that special paste, i will get unwanted results:
    A1: 20 (as expected)
    A2: 1920 ((20+0.2)-1)*100
    A3: 190000

    I hope I explained myself clearly.

    Is this possible?

  2. #2
    Rob van Gelder
    Guest

    Re: apply arithmetic functions on special multiple cells

    You're on the right track with the paste special subtract and multiple.
    Treat that as steps 2 and 3.

    Step 1 as follows:
    Copy the cells. Paste Special > Values

    --
    Rob van Gelder - http://www.vangelder.co.nz/

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Zhekka
    Guest

    Re: apply arithmetic functions on special multiple cells

    No... it doesn't work

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: apply arithmetic functions on special multiple cells

    You have to maintain the multiplier, so you probably need helper columns

    B1: =(A1-1)*100
    B2: =((B1+0.2)-1)*100
    B3: =((((B1+0.2-1)*100)-(A1-1)*100+1)-1)*100

    Bob Phillips

  5. #5
    Zhekka
    Guest

    Re: apply arithmetic functions on special multiple cells

    So, you're saying there's no other way rather than using new
    columns/rows

    (This will be problematic, since I already have a chart out of those
    values.....)

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: apply arithmetic functions on special multiple cells

    There may be, but I cannot see it I am afraid.

    Bob