using the equation of a polynomial

  1. #1
    Vince
    Guest

    using the equation of a polynomial

    I input my data in column A = inches and B = tons. I then graphed it with an
    X-Y graph and added a 2nd order Polynomial to it. The equation that is
    displayed is

    y=0.0123x2 + 0.411x + 0.996

    I want to select an inch value and be able to calculate what the
    corresponding ton value will be. Shouldn't I be able to apply the equation
    above to do this? If 2 inches = 0.95 tons, what would 10 inches equal, or 50
    inches. I need a math lesson!

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Vince

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: using the equation of a polynomial

    Given that equation (and I'm reading into it that x is inches, y is tons),
    then to use the equation with the inches from cell A2, for example, the
    formula would be =0.996 + A2 * 0.411 + 0.01232 * A2 * A2.

  3. #3
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: using the equation of a polynomial

    I think you threw in an extra "2".

    0.01232 * A2 * A2

    or

    0.0123 * A2 * A2

  4. #4
    Vince
    Guest

    RE: using the equation of a polynomial

    Thanks for the help, that was the math lesson that I needed!

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: using the equation of a polynomial

    On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 08:27:09 -0800, "Vince" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I input my data in column A = inches and B = tons. I then graphed it with an
    >X-Y graph and added a 2nd order Polynomial to it. The equation that is
    >displayed is
    >
    >y=0.0123x2 + 0.411x + 0.996
    >
    >I want to select an inch value and be able to calculate what the
    >corresponding ton value will be. Shouldn't I be able to apply the equation
    >above to do this? If 2 inches = 0.95 tons, what would 10 inches equal, or 50
    >inches. I need a math lesson!
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Vince

    One other caveat: you are onlyh displaying the formula to 3 decimals. This
    may or may not give you an accurate result.

    It may be of value to increase the display to as much as 15 decimals, depending
    on the precision you require. IIRC, you right click on the text box where the
    formula is displayed; select Format Data Labels; then format the number to show
    15 decimals.

    --ron