SORTING TEXT AND NUMBERS

  1. #1
    jstephenson
    Guest

    SORTING TEXT AND NUMBERS

    i am trying to sort a non sequential list of numbers mixed with numbers
    marked with an asterisk in front, such as on a bank statement of checks:

    *1223
    *1225
    1228

    and so on. When I sort, all of the numbers with an asterisk are grouped
    together. I formatted them as text with the same result. Is there anything
    i can do?

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: SORTING TEXT AND NUMBERS

    I would use a helper column to CONCATENATE a .1 on the end of all the numbers
    with a leading asterisk, and then use Edit > Replace to get rid of the
    asterisks, then all should sort normally.........you can reverse the
    procedure at the end if you wish.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: SORTING TEXT AND NUMBERS

    If you don't need the asterisks, then just do a Find/Replace.

    Find: ~*
    Leave the Replace With Field blank

    If you need to keep the asterisks, then I'd suggest adding an additional
    column and using the following formula:

    =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"*","")

    Then sort by this new column.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: SORTING TEXT AND NUMBERS

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:57:20 -0800, "jstephenson"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >i am trying to sort a non sequential list of numbers mixed with numbers
    >marked with an asterisk in front, such as on a bank statement of checks:
    >
    >1224
    >1222
    >*1223
    >1221
    >1227
    >*1225
    >1228
    >
    >and so on. When I sort, all of the numbers with an asterisk are grouped
    >together. I formatted them as text with the same result. Is there anything
    >i can do?

    Simplest method: use a helper column for sorting.

    If your data is in A1:An, then

    B1: =IF(ISERR(-A1),--MID(A1,2,10),--A1)
    copy/drag down to Bn.

    Then select both columns (and any others of importance)
    Data/Sort
    Ascending
    Col B

    If you have a header row, sort on the helper column's header.

    --ron

  5. #5
    jstephenson
    Guest