Count function

  1. #1
    J-Raz
    Guest

    Count function

    Hello
    I was hoping someone could help me with a problem i have. I am trying to
    count a response (Y/N) in a range with the condition that they are from a
    particular type in another range.

    Eg.
    Column "A" has names of applicants wishing to work for me.

    Column "B" has the recruitment company which sent them, some will have
    multiple entries if they have forwarded many applicants, eg "Manpower".

    Column "C" has a Yes/No response based on whether they were successful.

    What i would like to do is creat a count of the number of successful
    applicants from a recruitment company. So, count how many of "Manpowers"
    applicants had a "y" response?

    Any help would be very appreciated.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Count function

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B50="Manpower"),--(C2:C50="Yes"))

    or better

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B50=G1),--(C2:C50=H1))

    where you would put the temp/recruitment agency in G1 and the Yes/No in H1

    another way would be to use the autofilter (data>filter>autofilter)
    then filter on company and Yes, then use

    =SUBTOTAL(3,B2:B50)

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Count function

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:16:27 -0800, "J-Raz" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hello
    >I was hoping someone could help me with a problem i have. I am trying to
    >count a response (Y/N) in a range with the condition that they are from a
    >particular type in another range.
    >
    >Eg.
    >Column "A" has names of applicants wishing to work for me.
    >
    >Column "B" has the recruitment company which sent them, some will have
    >multiple entries if they have forwarded many applicants, eg "Manpower".
    >
    >Column "C" has a Yes/No response based on whether they were successful.
    >
    >What i would like to do is creat a count of the number of successful
    >applicants from a recruitment company. So, count how many of "Manpowers"
    >applicants had a "y" response?
    >
    >Any help would be very appreciated.

    You could use a pivot table.

    Drag "Company" to the Rows Area
    Drag "Response" to the Columns Area
    Drag "Names" to the Data area. (Make sure it does "Count" of Names)

    Apply any of a variety of formats to the result
    --ron