Formula in a cell instead of its calculated value!!

  1. #1
    excellimits
    Guest

    Formula in a cell instead of its calculated value!!

    I am building a fairly large excel file (9MB) and have run across a major
    problem that I have been unable to resolve. The raw data download is 68
    columns and I have added an additional 65 columns with calculations many of
    which are complex (by far the most I have ever used). The 65th column was
    added in column BQ and it was a simple function to equal column L (i.e. in
    cell BQ2 the formula is =L2). Instead of showing the resulting value in BQ2
    the cell is showing the formula (=L2). There are multiple pivot tables that
    are linked to the 120+ columns. All other formula are working and are
    showing the proper calculated values instead of the formula so it isn't an
    issue of Tools>Options>Show Formula. Have I reached a threshold for Excel???

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Formula in a cell instead of its calculated value!!

    Make sure that the cells in that column are NOT formatted as Text.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    excellimits
    Guest

    RE: Formula in a cell instead of its calculated value!!

    That did it. The raw data I imported in was formatted as text. Inserting a
    column next to that data resulted in the formatting being carried over and
    thus my problem. Changing the format worked.

    Thanks for your help!