Build Formula

  1. #1
    lynnc
    Guest

    Build Formula

    I am looking for syntex that will build a formula.

    I want to replace this reference
    ='[2006 Capacity PMHS Bourbonnais.xls]Capacity Synopsis'!L19

    with a formula that will build the reference using data from another part of
    the worksheet. It would be something like this CONCATENATE("='[2006 Capacity
    PMHS Bourbonnais.xls]Capacity Synopsis'!",F$2,$A9). where F$2 = L and $A9 =
    19. Only this doesn't work.

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Build Formula

    You need the INDIRECT() function. Bear in mind it doesn't work when the
    workbook you're referencing is closed. If the referenced workbook is open it
    will work just fine.

    =INDIRECT("'[2006 Capacity PMHS Bourbonnais.xls]Capacity Synopsis'!"&F$2&$A9)

  3. #3
    lynnc
    Guest

    RE: Build Formula

    Is there a way to reference a closed file?

  4. #4
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Build Formula

    > Is there a way to reference a closed file?

    No, INDIRECT requires that the file be open.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Build Formula

    Chip Pearson wrote...
    >>Is there a way to reference a closed file?

    >No, INDIRECT requires that the file be open.

    But there are add-ins that *do* support this functionality. The best
    choice would be Laurent Longre's MOREFUNC.XLL add-in, freely available
    from

    http://xcell05.free.fr/english/

    Once installed, it provides an add-in function named INDIRECT.EXT which
    works just like INDIRECT but supports references into closed workbooks.
    And there are other ways to do it using SQL.REQUEST, user-defined
    functions written in VBA, and constructing text formulas that look like
    external references, then converting them to their values and repacing
    = with = to enter then effectively as a batch.