Looking for the Formula to find 4 in 77890453

  1. #1
    Formprob1
    Guest

    Looking for the Formula to find 4 in 77890453

    I need a formula and don't know what it's called or if it's available in
    excel but this is for a program and I need to find a way to break down large
    numbers and alot of them. Some examples are as follows: 234987 is the number
    maybe I want the number in the tenths place 8 to be entered on to excel or
    use it more in a more complicated formula. Lets say I enter 97528437 on the
    first line in excel (A,1) and I want (A,2) to display the number in the
    millionths place. What formula can I use to get this. I appreciate anybody's
    help (and I hope I'm not repeating a dead duck).

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Looking for the Formula to find 4 in 77890453

    =FIND(4,A1)

    will return 8

    then if you want what's after 4 with 4 included

    =MID(A1,FIND(4,A1),255)

    will return

    453

    as text, if you want number

    =--MID(A1,FIND(4,A1),255)

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    MDBCT
    Guest

    RE: Looking for the Formula to find 4 in 77890453

    The following will return the digit 4 positions from the right (the thousands
    spot. Change the 4 to what ever postion you would want. I broke it out to
    4 + 1 instead of 5 so it would be easier to determine the location of the
    digit desire.
    =MID(A1,LEN(A1)-4+1,1)*1