FORECAST function am I using the right thing?

  1. #1
    Honkey Lips
    Guest

    FORECAST function am I using the right thing?

    Hi folks ...any help here would be much appreciated.

    Simply in column a I have time and column b is the number of records
    processed within this time period.

    What I would like to do is to extrapolate time against the number of
    records to get an idea of how long 30,000 records is likely to take.

    The data I have is as follows.

    Time (A) Records Processed (B)
    1.5 500
    3.5 1600
    20 3600
    ??? 30000

    Does anyone know how given these this small dataset with uneven timings
    to extrapolate on how minute minutes that 30,000 is likely to take?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Steve Franklin

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: FORECAST function am I using the right thing?

    Using the forecast function

    =FORECAST(30000,A2:A4,B2:B4)

    with time in A2:A40 and records processed in B2:B4

    returns 183.8161

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    Portland, Oregon