Data Validation and Drop down lists.

  1. #1
    Mark Dullingham
    Guest

    Data Validation and Drop down lists.

    I am an Excel novice so please be patient!
    My problem is this-
    I have a drop down list set up in D2 in worksheet 1 which references a list
    of customers contained in column A in worksheet 2. When the selection is made
    in D1, sheet 1 it returns a contract number in E2 from column B in sheet 2
    using VLOOKUP funtion (and so on down the sheet). As the enteries in sheet 2
    Col A are not a definitive list of possible customers, nor are the contract
    number in Col B a definitive list of job numbers that may be associated with
    a particular customer, the user can enter their own values into Sheet 1, D2
    and E2.
    Pretty staight forward so far!
    What I would like to happen would be 1 of 2 possibilities
    1- If the user enters a customers name and job number that does not appear
    in sheet 2 col A and B, the entries will be added to the relavant columns for
    selection in the future.
    2- If the user enters a customers name that does exist in Col A sheet 2, but
    ammends the job number (we use 1 type of job number for a contract and
    another for one off specific jobs) that number is some how added to a list of
    job numbers for that customer and when that customer is select in the future,
    further down the sheet, all associated numbers appear in another drop down
    list.
    A solution to 1 would be great, but a solution to 2 would be superb( I
    appreciate it may be way out of my depth) and score me loads of points with
    the boss.
    I've noticed, whilst trawling through loads of postings seraching for an
    answer, that people have posted specific solution based on the posteractual
    worksheet, so if any one kind enough to profer any solutions needs more info
    I will do my best to come up with the goods.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation and Drop down lists.

    This will require VBA programming. If you don't get any replies after a day
    or so repost in the programming forum.

    Biff

    "Mark Dullingham" <Mark [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mark Dullingham
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation and Drop down lists.

    Will do.
    Thanks Biff