calculation a average dependated of values in seperate column

  1. #1
    vinnie123
    Guest

    calculation a average dependated of values in seperate column

    Hi everyone. I've a spreadsheet with one column (eg. A1:a100)
    containing a range of values (ages) and another column (B1:100) a value
    of either 1 or 2 (representing males vs females).

    How can a find the average of the cells A1:A100 that have a value of 1
    in column B; ie. the average age of the males only.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: calculation a average dependated of values in seperate column

    =AVERAGE(IF(B1:B100=1,A1:A100))

    entered with ctrl + shift & enter, if there can be blanks in A

    =AVERAGE(IF((A1:A100<>"")*(B1:B100=1),A1:A100))

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...