How do I setup a drop down box for using addresses

  1. #1
    J.Lee
    Guest

    How do I setup a drop down box for using addresses

    How do I setup a drop down box for using addresses. I am creating an Estimate
    spreedsheet and would like to select a customer with address from a drop down
    box. Thanking you in advance

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: How do I setup a drop down box for using addresses

    data validation list or combo box from forms toolbar.You arent 100 per cent
    clear to me.Do you want to pick a customer from a list and have their address
    come up automatically in another cell?
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  3. #3
    J.Lee
    Guest

    RE: How do I setup a drop down box for using addresses

    Yes, I would like to pick a customer from a list and have their address come
    up automatically. How would I do this? and Thank You.

  4. #4
    paul
    Guest

    RE: How do I setup a drop down box for using addresses

    ok bear with me
    navigate to view/toolbars/forms,and click on combo box,then click on your
    worksheet and a big boxed arrow will appear.The border will have handles so
    you can drag it to the size and shape you want.If you right click on the box
    you will see a menu which includes format control,click on that now.
    You have a dialog box,click on the control tab,and if you click on the tab
    to the right of the input range box you can highlight the list of your
    customers,click the red tab again,and then click the tab cell link and click
    on a cell below your list,or any where on your sheet that suits.I will
    ussually highlight that cell with a different colour or border and even type
    a description next to it say customer cell link. Now click ok and click
    somewhere on the sheet to deselect the combo box.When you click on the combo
    box arrow now you should get your list showing up.If you select one of those
    choice the cell link will show a number corresponding to the position of that
    choice in the list.
    Depending on the number of choices you have you can use
    =choose(cell_link,customer1cell
    ref,customer2cell_ref,customer3cell_ref,etc,or
    =index(customer_list,cell_link,1).The choose function is limited to 30
    choices.
    when you make a choice in the combobox the selection will now show up in the
    cell where you have your index or choose formula.This cell can be anywhere in
    your workbook,on a different sheet is no problem.Now i assume that your
    customer list and adresses are in a table ie J Lee Construction is typed in
    cell A1 and the address of 2356 Anywhere St,somewhere,in B1,or the street in
    b1 and maybe the suburb in c1....What ever you can use a vlookup to retreive
    the selected customers address(es)
    to display somewhere on your estimate sheet

  5. #5
    J.Lee
    Guest

    RE: How do I setup a drop down box for using addresses

    Thank You Paul for your assistance. I will give it a try