Moving up blank cells

  1. #1
    sbrimley
    Guest

    Moving up blank cells

    I am using the formula below to list what students in a reading program got a
    particular question wrong on a test.

    =IF(N6=1, " ",A6 &" " & B6)

    Cell A6 is childs first name and cell B6 is last name of child and NG is the
    first question on the test. I want to create a list of children that got the
    question wrong. I am working with hundreds of children and the formula works
    except the column that contains the list will have sporadic sections of blank
    cells because those children got the question right.

    How do I move the data up into the next cell or automatically delete the
    cells that don't have a childs name in it?

    I am using Excel 2003

    Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Moving up blank cells

    If you move the names up by any means you will erase the formulas that are
    in those cells. Instead do this. Copy the entire column. Select the first
    cell of a blank column, any blank column. Do Edit - Paste Special - Values.
    That will paste the entire column of names and blank cells without the
    formulas. Now sort that one column by itself ascending. Don't include any
    other columns in your sort. All the names will move to the top and will be
    sorted. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    sbrimley
    Guest

    Re: Moving up blank cells

    That would work except, I really need it to be automatic so when the data is
    entered the report of children who got the questions wrong is automatically
    created. That way the staff that is not familar with excel at all can just
    print the report. I found one formula that would work at
    www.cpearson.com/excel/noblanks.html

    =IF(ROW()-ROW(NoBlanksRange)+1>ROWS(Blanksrange)-COUNTBLANK(Blanksrange),"",INDIRECT(ADDRESS(SMALL((IF(Blanksrange<>"",ROW(Blanksrange),ROW()+ROWS(Blanksrange))),ROW()-ROW(NoBlanksRange)+1),COLUMN(Blanksrange),4)))

    Except that since we have a formula in the referencing cell it is not
    working.
    We are pulling the data from one worksheet and creating a report in another
    worksheet, but all within the same workbook, which may be causing another
    problem.
    Can you think of any solutions?

  4. #4
    sbrimley
    Guest

    Re: Moving up blank cells

    Otto,
    Thanks for your help, I got it to work. I went back to my orignal formula
    and realized that I had a space between my first set of quotes and that was
    telling the formula that I got off the Pearson site that the cell wasn't
    empty because of the space. Delete the space in the formula and all the
    names move up. It is a beautiful thing! Even though it caused me hours of
    frustration, I am glad it was something so small
    Thanks Again
    Suzanne