Pick from a drop-down list

  1. #1
    Matilda
    Guest

    Pick from a drop-down list

    I have a protected form to be filled out. In one column I have a drop-down
    list with 25 things in it to choose from. In adjacent column is dollar
    amount to be added. One of these 25 things when I choose it, I want the
    adjacent cell to be protected so it can't be filled in. I have looked in the
    "if" function, but can't figure out how to do this. Does anyone have any
    ideas?

  2. #2

    Re: Pick from a drop-down list

    I'd build a table on another worksheet that had the 25 items in A1:A25 and the
    associated amount in B1:B25.

    I'd use data|validation to show that list of 25 items.

    And then I'd use =vlookup() to return the amount.

    =if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false))

    Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions for you:
    and